Monday, October 1, 2007

Moo...Ground chicken is a scam!


For those of you who are eating ground chicken to be healthier - warning! Make sure you read the label!

My sister bought some ground chicken at the store this past weekend. The package touted "1/2 the fat of ground beef!"... Then I looked at the fat grams. !!!12!!! per serving! With nearly 4 grams of saturated fat!

Compare that with the nutritional information for 90% lean ground beef:
10-11 grams of fat, with 4-5 grams of saturated fat.

Nearly identical to the ground chicken.
And, you could shave even more fat calories off by buying the premium 95-97% lean ground beef.

6 comments:

Angela said...

Hi! Try ground buffalo/bison too. They sell Great Range at our local Stop n' Shop and also at our Whole Foods. It has 11g fat/serving (1/4 lb), and 4g saturated fat, but overall it tastes a little leaner and more tender than ground beef. There are no "gamey" tastes to ground buffalo, in fact, no one can tell the difference between buffalo and beef.

Unknown said...

OMG CHOM... I love this. I guess I will have to start a blog showcasing my mean mac 'n cheese skills and ragu pasta sauce with my own, fresh chopped tomatoes!

Kristy said...

Angela -
I definately want to give ground buffalo a try.... coming up, I'd also like to try a bunch of new whole grains. Given your family allergy restrictions, I'll have to let you know how that goes!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the shout out. :) ... and the ground chicken was only $1.99/lb ... Just tryin' to stick to the budget.

Unknown said...

Hey K,
Sorry the dietitian in me has to respond. Ground beef is not the same as 90% ground round or sirloin. You do have to be careful watching the labels, but they are actually right as far as label advertising.

Melissa said...

You are SO right! They key is finding ground breast meat...which where I am at is not easy.